Are Burning Bush Berries Poisonous If Eaten?


1 Answers

Becky Haegele Profile
Becky Haegele answered
My dog ate burning bush berries today.  I will spare you the cost of a vet call and let you know what was said, "The berries cause vomiting and diarrhea when ingested. If they were ingested that long ago {3-4 hrs.} the toxins have already been absorbed into the GI tract. Eating grass comes from the nausea but will make him vomit even more. He should not be allowed to eat more. Pepcid AC or Prilosec OTC can be used at 2.5 mg per 10 pounds body weight every 24 hours as needed to settle the stomach. Pepto Bismal can be used at 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds body weight every 8 hours as needed if diarrhea occurs. If the medicine stays down a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice can be offered in small amounts until the GI tract heals."

I would definitely watch the dog and make a judgement call based on your dog's symptoms.  Mine threw up once, wanted to eat grass, and kept licking his mouth and swallowing a lot.  He was not lethargic or any other symptoms that concerned me.    This is a courtesy post, I am not medically trained and am not giving you advice for your situation

Answer Question