Is It Okay To Eat Moldy Cheese?


3 Answers

Julii Brainard Profile
Julii Brainard answered
It may be okay as long as you cut the mold off. Let's assume we all know that mold is unfamiliar white or green growth on cheese.

Actually, you might be able to eat a little mold and feel okay afterwords, but it's not worth chancing, there are often all sorts of toxins in molds.

If the cheese is soft, such as cottage cheese, brie, camembert, ricotta, or processed (such as cream cheese, american processed cheese), then toss it when it's moldy, it's a sign that the entire product is going bad.

(Buffs are going to point out that the white rind on Brie is technically a mold, but it doesn't look like mold to most people, so this guide is for those of us that wouldn't have even known that rind was a safe and edible mold.)

If the cheese is a blue-green streaky aged cheese, like Roquefort or Stilton and is manifesting an unfamiliar mold, then toss it. Odd molds on these cheeses may be very toxic.

If the cheese is a hard, non-streaky sort, like Cheddar or Red Leicester, then thoroughly cut off and discard any moldy bits, and the rest should be safe to eat.
Tim Jordan Profile
Tim Jordan , Certified Mold Testing Service provider in Colorado Mold Removal Express., answered

No. Because Mold is made up of harmful bacteria.

But you can ate it after cutting the moldy part with the help of knife.

Black  Nova Profile
Black Nova answered
Cheese is mold (I think)Blue cheese is mold on mold

Answer Question