Anonymous

What Is Tapioca Flour?

3

Nisha Fernandes Profile
Nisha Fernandes answered
Tapioca Flour is obtained from the cassava plant. It is a starchy substance. It comes in many forms like flakes, granules, starch and pellets that are known as pearl tapioca. Tapioca flour is usually used to thicken a watery soup.

Alternately it is also used in fruit fillings and glazes as a thickening agent. Pearl Tapioca is available in a variety of sizes. It is commonly used to prepare pudding. It is available both in instant and regular forms. It also has a number of prepackaged flavors. It is usually available in supermarkets, if not; one can find it in Asian markets and sores that sell heath food.

Tapioca is a starchy substance which is tasteless and is used for cooking purposes. It is very much like sago. Tapioca comes from a Brazilian language Tupi Guarani meaning to drain residue. It is usually used in milk pudding and rice pudding preparations.
I just used it in my cookie recipe...substituted 25% Tapioca flour for the regular flour to lighten it up and my cookies were so great! Will try it in my chocolate Brioche recipe next....

Anonymous