1. Never place a cold egg straight into boiling water because it will most likely crack, but instead place the egg in the saucepan before you start heating.
2. Time from when the water starts to boil using a timer.
3. Make a small pinprick into the top of the egg shell because when boiling, pressure will build up and it could crack the egg, but by putting a small hole in the shell the pressure will be released.
4. Use a small saucepan, so that the eggs are close together, and this will stop the eggs from hitting each other with much force, therefore reducing the chances of cracking the eggs.
5. Don't boil too quickly. You should always boil with a small to medium flame.
6. Never over boil your egg, as it will result in a black egg and texture like rubber.
7. If your eggs are fresh from your own chickens and are less that 5 days old, you should add an extra 30 seconds to cooking.
For cooking a soft boiled egg and a hard boiled, the methods differs. Cooking a soft boiled egg will require you to have enough water in a saucepan just to cover the egg and simmering water before the egg in placed in for cooking. Once the egg is placed in the simmering water, with the saucepan's lid off, set the timer for ` minute and wait. When the minute is up take the saucepan away from the heat and put the lid on and depending on how runny you want your yolk to be, leave the egg in the hot water for 6 minutes, for a very runny yolk and a very soft white, and for 7 minutes for a semi solid yolk and a hard white. Another way of cooking a soft boiled egg would be to place the egg in to a saucepan with cold water, with just enough water covering up the egg and putting the flame onto the strongest. Once the water starts to boil, reduce the flame to a smaller flame so that the water is still simmering. Then leave the egg in the simmering water for 3 to 5 minutes depending on how hard you want the yolk and white to be. To boil a hard boiled egg place the egg in a saucepan with water just enough to cover the egg and bring the water to a simmer, then time it for 6 minutes. Once the time is up quickly take the egg out with a spoon a run it in cold water for a minute.