The pineapple is a tropical fruit famed for its unusual and distinctive appearance. Grown usually in the Caribbean, its sweet flavor makes it a popular food, often as a dessert and its juice and concentrate turned into a drink which is loved by children and adults alike. As well as being a tasty fruit and a good flavor for drinks and cocktails, the pineapple is a great source of vitamins and is a great healthy option which contains very little fat.
- It is believed that the pineapple gets its name due to its resemblance to a pine cone and as well as being eaten or consumed as a drink in some countries the pineapple leaves are used as a material.
- In terms of its health benefits, the pineapple is an extremely good source of vitamin C. Vitamin C has been proven to be a great aid to the body's immune system, fighting against colds, flu and infections.
- The consumption of pineapple is also credited with fighting infections of the eye, such as macular degeneration. The high levels of anti-oxidants contained in the fruit have been known to fight age related problems.
- One of the pineapple's lesser known health facts is that is often used for removing intestinal worms from the body.
- In terms of fat levels the pineapple is one of the best, due to its low levels of natural sugar. On average, each pineapple plant contains around 52 calories, making it a great option if you are dieting or watching your weight.