The scientific name for red cabbage is Brassica Oleracea Var. Capitata F. Rubra. I'm sure you can see why we don't call it that!
Benefits of eating red cabbage
- It's a great source of vitamin C
- Many people claim it helps to reduce inflammation
- It's also supposed to be good for your eyes, due to the high A vitamin content
- It helps with the clotting of blood, and keeps our bones nice and healthy
- The biggest claim perhaps, is that red cabbage can help prevent cancer
Most people think of red cabbage as a side dish, but there are more ways that you can incorporate it into your diet. You can pickle it, or make chutneys, and it's great for adding to salads.
Here's a video which shows you how easy it is to make a red cabbage side dish:
I recently invested in a juicer, and juiced some red cabbage along with other fruits and veg, because I'd heard it had some great health benefits. It was interesting that much is true, but I'm not sure red cabbage juice is for me!