- Pour a cup of powdered sugar into a mixing bowl. Most icing uses powdered sugar. You an use butter-cream if you really want, but it'll be harder to write with!
- Add in 1 to 3 tablespoons of milk. You need to turn the powdered sugar into a paste. You can use milk, but I normally use heavy cream - it makes the paste thicker and yummier! You can always add more milk if you're finding the consistency too thick. Stir the paste with a spoon until it's all mixed. You don't want it to be too thick or too runny!
- Chill the substance for 30 to 60 minutes to help thicken it. (optional) Pick out the colors you want for the icing, and clean up any icing sugar spillages while you're waiting. You can also be preparing the bag you will use to spread the icing over the cake or cookies. You can add any coloring and even a flavor such as vanilla if you want!
- Use just a few drops of flavor or coloring as you desire. Put the icing in your writing bag with the tip that you want. Then just squeeze the icing out in the form of letters. You can play with the different tips, testing them on a piece of paper until you've got the hang of it. Make sure the cake has cooled completely before you try to write on it - the letters will melt otherwise!
- Buy some icing sugar first. That is the very finely ground sugar, not regular table sugar.
- Then add water to it little by little until you have a paste that is thick enough to write with.
- Just make sure you don't add too much water or the icing will be too runny.
- You can then add food coloring to it as well if you want. That will make it nice and colorful
- To write with it, you will need something like a piping bag.
To write words of encouragement or congrats on cakes is a creative process. It takes time and inspiration to make up a good quote for a birthday cake, for example. Egg-free icing is not so delicious and it may be thin and slushy. At college, we learned how to write on pastry and cakes, as well as It was a course at Antioch College where I usually copy materials and get my essay for me on any university topic.