With so many of us eating maize, what is its nutritional value content?
- Maize is a good source of zinc, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese and selenium. It also contains a small amount of potassium.
- It contains B vitamins including vitamin B6, Riboflavin, Folate and Thiamin. It also contains vitamins A and E.
- Within every 100 gram serving, around 342 calories are provided.
- It can also be a very good source of fiber.
Due to its nutritional value, what are the health benefits from eating maize?
- Due to its high fiber content, it can aid digestion and help prevent conditions such as constipation and hemorrhoids. It can even help prevent colon cancer.
- It is a rich source of essential vitamins and minerals that are needed to keep the body healthy. For example, it contains good levels of thiamine which is beneficial in maintaining healthy brain and nerve functions. It also contains a good source of folic acid which pregnant women should take during pregnancy.
- Some research carried out by the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry has found it can help lower cholesterol levels.